WELLINGTON, June 29 (Reuters) – The New Zealand government has announced it will resume non-quarantine travel with parts of Australia next week as it lifts COVID-19 restrictions in Wellington on Tuesday.
New Zealand ended its “travel bubble” with Australia on Saturday as an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta variant took hold in Sydney and several other Australian cities.
COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said non-quarantine travel would resume with the states of South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory from Monday, although authorities would continue to review the situation until then.
“The cabinet agreed that the partial lifting of the recess was the appropriate course of action,” Hipkins said at a press conference. mentionned. “The health advice is that the spread of COVID-19 in these parts of Australia has been contained at this point,” he said.
Travelers will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test prior to departure and must not have visited stranded states and territories in recent days, Hipkins said.
The break in travel with Western Australia, New South Wales, the states of Queensland and the Northern Territory will be reconsidered on Tuesday, he added, to allow for the return of test results and a more assessment. depth of the situation.
The Sydney outbreak also led authorities to impose social distancing restrictions on Wellington a week ago after an Australian tourist who visited the city tested positive for COVID-19 after returning home.
Hipkins said those measures will be relaxed starting at midnight Tuesday.
New Zealand is one of a handful of countries that have contained the spread of COVID-19 within its borders. His last community case dates back to February.
No new cases were reported on Tuesday. New Zealand has so far recorded 2,385 confirmed cases and 26 deaths linked to the virus.
Reporting by Praveen Menon; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman
Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.