The body of a fallen climber recovered from the slopes of Mount Jefferson; Turn-Based Helicopter Helps Effort


Family raised money for recovery online, say Bend’s Leading Edge donated first flight hour

ALBANY, Ore. (KTVZ) — The body of a fallen mountain climber was found on the slopes of Mount Jefferson on Monday, three days after he went missing, in a Bend-based helicopter-assisted effort privately funded by the the man’s family through a GoFundMe page, Linn County Sheriff Michelle Duncan said.

Jeffrey Dale, 29, from Grants Pass and attending school in Waco, Texas, was reported missing last Thursday afternoon and was last seen about 300ft below the 10,500ft summit of the Mountain.

Days of searching by numerous search parties have not located Dale. With the assistance of the Civil Air Patrol, high resolution images were taken of the area where Dale was last seen. This allowed search and rescue teams to identify where Dale’s body was – more than 1,800ft below where he was last seen, indicating he likely fell during its rise, MPs said.

Dale’s family had set up a GoFundMe page and raised more than $15,000 to help pay for a private helicopter from Bend’s Leading Edge Aviation, the sheriff’s office said.

With the help of this helicopter, Eugene Mountain Rescue climbers were dropped off the mountain and they worked together on a short-haul transport of the remains to a nearby landing area. The helicopter returned to the summit and picked up the four climbers.

Duncan expressed his thanks to all of the agencies that assisted in the search and recovery, including Linn County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue, Corvallis Mountain Rescue, Lane County Search and Rescue, Portland Mountain Rescue, Life Flight and the Oregon Army National Guard.

GoFundMe page organizer Judy Bond-Hernandez said in an update Tuesday that they learned on Monday that the weather was favorable for a recovery, but the company they were going to use later this week n was not available. She said a Linn County SAR member discovered Leading Edge was willing and able to complete the mission and donated the first hour of helicopter time.

Bond-Hernandez expressed his gratitude for everyone involved in the recovery effort and said the GoFundMe page (which surpassed $21,000 on Tuesday, after setting a target of $15,000) is in the process of recovering. adjustment to help the Dale family with funeral and related expenses.


About Author

Comments are closed.